The Boswells

The Boswells

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just Another Bump in the Road

Today my grandfather turned 77! He looks and feels great. I'm so very fortunate to have the wonderful relationship that I have with him. We talk nearly everyday, and I consider him one of my best friends. I love to listen to him tell stories about growing up on a farm in Mississippi. He was born in the midst of the Great Depression and his family was poor as was the case of many others. I also cherish the stories  he tells me about my dad. My dad died when I was 5 so I take to heart the many stories about him. It makes me feel like I knew him even though I really only have a few memories.

My grandfather and I have a very special bond, and I cherish him dearly. One of my favorite things about him are the sayings he comes up with. For example, "He felt like a limp dish rag.", "The squeaky wheel gets the grease.", and my personal favorite "It's just another bump in the road.". Some people would say I tend to over dramatize certain situations, and maybe my grandpa knows this, because he always seems to know just what to say to calm me down. When something unexpected happens and I get all in a rigor, he calmly says "It's just another bump in the road. This too shall pass.". And slowly and surely, I'm learning he's right.

I love you, Grandpa! Have a wonderful birthday!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment