The Boswells

The Boswells

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Worst Week Ever

I have dubbed this past week the official worst week of my life thus far. As I mentioned before, Monday I was in a fender bender, and thank goodness no one was hurt. As it turns out, that would be the least of my problems this week.

I received a text Wednesday morning from my aunt saying my grandmother (who raised me I might add) was on her way to the hospital. I just assummed she was having heart and lung problems. She began having heart problems when I was 16, and continued through out the years. We never really worried much though because she was strong and she always seemed to pull through no matter what the circumstances. By the time Wednesday afternoon rolledaround my grandmother had been transferred to the critical care unit at Brookwood hospital in Birmingham. I recieved another text from my aunt explained that my grandmother would be under going exploratory surgury in her abdomen. Huh? That was not what I was expecting at all. Wasn't this a heart issue? What's going on?

My grandmother was having intense pain in her abdomen and the surgeon needed to conduct exploratory surgury in order to figure out what was cuasing the pain. What he found was devastaing to my family. My grandmother had passed a blood clot in her abdomen and had no hopes for survival. My 69 year old, beautiful, strong, and witty grandmother would not recover from this.

My aunt called explaining we had only mere hours. I rushed there immediately. She held on through the night. My grandma was a fighter, and she wasn't giving up that easy. She died  Thursday, August 18. We had the visitation Saturday at the Collinsville Funeral Home. Today we had the funeral and laid her to rest beside my Daddy in Clanton. It has truly been the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I keep thinking I will wake up from this horrible dream, and call my granmother and tell her how much I love her. Yet I keep waking up and realizing that it is real. She's gone, but not forever. I know I will see her again someday, and I can't wait until that happy reunion day.

I came to live with my grandmother when I was only 11 years old. She wasn't just my grandmother, she was my mom. I will miss her everyday, but I know as long as I have my memory, she will live in me.

Home from Auburn  one weekend.


She was beautiful!


Grandma and I the day I graduated from Auburn.


Grandma and I at my wedding last year.


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment