The Boswells

The Boswells

Monday, May 16, 2011

Stress

Just when I thought life couldn't get anymore stressful, life throws me a curve ball. Last Wednesday I was asked by my principal to transfer to 5th grade next year. While I am excited about this new phase of my career, I am also very anxious. I have absolutely no experience with any children above grade three. Even my lab experiences and internship placements were in early education. I started noticing how big the students were. Some of them are bigger than me! A million thoughts were racing through my head. Would I be able to challenge these students after teaching younger children? Would they take me seriously when I'm disciplining them? What do students learn in the 5th grade? I nearly drove myself crazy for three days.

Thank goodness I work at a wonderful school with such supportive friends. All of the teachers on the 5th grade hall have been so helpful, encouraging, and sweet. I'm very excited to be joining their team. Unfortunately, I am very sad about leaving my 3rd grade team. This year was wonderful! It felt like we finally had a cohesive team, and we were all collaborating. The worst part of all is leaving my best friend, Leslie. I don't know what I'll do next year when I can't just run across the hall. Snack time just won't be the same! Ha!

I feel so fortunate to have a job during this time of budget cuts. Our school had to cut two teaching units, which is why I'm moving to the 5th grade. It's hard when someone you know loses their job, and for teachers at this time, it may be hard to even find another job. Along with this, I have officially taken up textbooks, and we have all lost our minds because of it. School needs to be over now! The students are done and so are the teachers. I'm such an organized person, and I'm just ready for this year to be over so I can start preparing for next year. Did I mention I'm also taking 9 hours of classes this summer? I just keep telling myself I can do it. I'm like the little engine that could- I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Till next time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment